Thursday, June 26, 2008

Why I am a Coach and not a CPA, Part II

I was reminded of the call of God in my life the other day in a way that I did not expect. I was using the locker room at the Y when he crossed my path.

He had a look of innocence. He couldn’t have been more than 24 and he looked like he was off to a good start. He appeared educated and capable. A professional man, I guessed that he was, but with kind and friendly eyes.

Some of his behaviors made it clear, however, that he was same-sex attracted and he was "cruising" in the locker room.

I am sad for this man. In one of the best seasons of his life, he was being led by the nose by his sex drive. I am old enough now to know where this leads. Hundreds of sexual encounters, probably, by the time he is 30. Maybe a couple of relationships that will leave him broken and spent. Disease. His emotional growth will be stunted because he will handle difficult feelings with sexual escapes. He is running from one of God’s most precious gifts to him: the experience of being the man and feeling like a man. He is on a road that leads nowhere.

Where are the voices of warning? Who can help this man, were he decide to walk a different road?

This young man reminds me of myself 25 years ago. The profound longings for manliness, confusing emotions, various fears, deep passions, and cravings for relationships conspired together. Gay experiences were hard to resist. The people and places where I sought help offered little of the instruction and support that I really needed.

Now I am 48. Thank God for forgiving me, maturing me, leading me, and making a man out of me.

I think again of the young man, and the thousands of young men like him. And that is why I am a coach and not a CPA.

Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you. Psalm 51:12-13

No comments: