Thursday, June 26, 2008

Why I am a Coach and not a CPA

Twenty-six years ago, this very month, I passed the CPA exam. I sat in Currigan Hall (which has since met the wrecking ball) in downtown Denver, with several sharpened #2 pencils, and darkened bubbles on a paper for hours at a time. Though the test took only 2 ½ days, it was the culmination of 4 years at the University of Colorado and months of preparation.

That was the start of a blessed career. Difficult at times, but blessed. The first job at Arthur Andersen was rocky. But eventually I opened my own practice. God blessed us with wonderful clients and employees. My work in the accounting field provided me a good living, satisfying relationships, and a sense of purpose.

There have been times recently, usually driving home from a satisfying day at an accounting client’s office, when I am prone to second guess the decision to walk away. My accounting firm is turning a good profit and I have good relationships with my clients. So I decided that one of my first blogposts would be about leaving it all for life coaching.

There is a simple explanation, really: a call from God. I believe that He is calling me to this adventure in the next season of my life. I’m not sure where it will go, but I am going to follow.

The apostle Peter was sitting safely in a boat when he saw Jesus walking on the water nearby. Getting out of that boat and stepping out on the lake defied logic. No matter. “Jesus, ask me to come to you!” Somehow he knew that if Jesus called him out of the boat he could walk on the lake too. Then Jesus called. “Come!”

Without any forethought or analysis Peter hopped out. What a thrill that must have been! Can you imagine the excitement? Eleven others sat stunned and amazed!

So I feel a little like Peter. God is calling me out of the secure boat . . .

That’s why I am a coach and not a CPA.

He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:24

No comments: