Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Brotherly Affection in British History


Many have pointed out that demonstrations of heart-felt brotherly affection are rare in these days. Our lives our less rich as a result. This was not always the case and once again I'd like to turn our attention to Eric Metaxas' biography of William Wilberforce.

Metaxas reprints a letter to Wilberforce from his close friend, William Pitt, pictured at left. Pitt, the future Prime Minister, replying to his friend's letter about matters of faith, writes:

". . . few things could go nearer to my heart than to find myself differing from you essentially on any great principle. I trust and believe that it is a circumstance which can hardly occur. But if it ever should . . . believe me it is impossible that it should shake the sentiments of affection and friendship which I bear towards you, and which I must be forgetful and insensible if I ever could part with."

Asking for an opportunity to talk further about the Christian faith, Pitt writes:

"What I would ask of you, as a mark both of your friendship and of the candor which belongs to your mind, is to open yourself fully and without reserve to one, who, believe me, does not know how to separate your happiness from his own."

I want to know more about the friendship of Pitt and Wilberforce. The two men were strong in manhood, rising to the highest levels of leadership of a world empire. Yet Pitt could openly express his affection to his friend.

May we grow in manliness and the ability to express brotherly affection from our hearts.

"Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor." Romans 10:12

No comments: