Friday, August 8, 2008

Ceiling Fans and Perseverance


It was called the Quick-Connect ceiling fan. "Connects in minutes", the box said, with only the use of a few handtools. I was skeptical, and, as it turned out, with very good reason.

Connecting in minutes is realistic under ideal circumstances. But our 82 year-old house had an 82 year-old electrical box holding the wiring for the old fan. Then there was a drywall ceiling attached to the plaster ceiling so that the box was recessed into the drywall by at least an inch. Attaching the new fan to the old box was impossible.

To be completely honest, I was ready to make a phone call to the electrician. But Paul, my friend who volunteered to help me, was undaunted. Paul, dear brother, I couldn't have done it without you.

After two trips to the Home Depot, several conversations with their staff, three trips to the corner hardware store for just the right screw, and hours (not minutes) of tinkering with the connection, the fan is now cooling the living room. It is a sight to behold.

I am writing about it here, because the victorious house project is one of the building blocks to manliness. Paul and I worked together for hours. We were nearly stumped several times over what type of junction box to use, how to securely attach it to the existing box (or to replace the old one altogether), what bolts and screws would do the job, and how to interpret the instructions.

Calling the electrician would not have been an utter defeat. We don't have to feel like we have summon the manliness to tackle every project that comes our way.

But I'm glad that I didn't. Now, each time I look at that fan, I am reminded that Paul and I (with God's help as always) conquered the ceiling fan.

"My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." Psalm 121:2

No comments: