Friday, January 23, 2009

How to be Humble

I always look forward to Thursday nights. Five guys meet here at the house for Bible study. The study is approaching its four-year anniversary. Rod and Mike have been constants. Several others have come and gone in that time, and right now, Adam and Paul from the house are part of the group. We take turns leading the study and it is a good time digging in the Word together.

Last night Mike K was leading us in a study of 1 Peter, chapter 5. Adam made a great observation that I've been thinking about all day from verses 6-7:

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.

Adam pointed out that, if you take away a descriptive phrase in verse six you are left with a key instruction on humility:
Humble yourselves . . . casting all your anxieties on him . .

I demonstrate humility by casting all of my cares on Christ. If I am carrying my own cares, and full of worry and concern throughout the day, it is an indication that the person I am trusting to make things happen is . . . ME! But if I regularly unload my burdens and trust Christ with my trouble, then I am giving evidence that Christ alone is all-sufficient and the answer to all my needs.

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matthew 6:33

No comments: