Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Stronger or Weaker?

Many things in our lives are complex. When I went to the NARTH conference, I was amazed at how complicated the issues are that we face. There could be a biological predisposition; there are family-of-origin issues from as far back as infancy that can result in a same-sex attraction. Traumatic experiences can affect us bodily until they are processed. Peer rejection, at a crucial point in our lives, can leave lasting damage. My friend Joe reminds me that these complexities are not unique to those with same-sex attraction, but are common in every life.

So I am always relieved when I discover something that is simple and true.

Yesterday evening, I was meeting with Dan and Mark to plan for the Outpost small group we are starting. We were talking about accountability and sexual failure. Men can fail in various ways, and as we discussed the topic, the simplicity of it hit home.

When a temptation hits us, we have such a simple decision: Do you want to keep your strength or do you want to grow weaker?

Yes, during a moment of sexual temptation, there may be a "climate of need" in our souls. There might be a fear or anxiety; loneliness or sadness. There can be a dismal feeling in our hearts that is difficult to name and even sense. Or maybe we are just sleepy.

The good news is that there is help from the Spirit of God during these times. We are not without help in our difficulties. "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10.

So the simple question is this: when you are tempted to some sexual escape, will you make it worse by following through? Or will you believe God. "I will strengthen you; I will help you."

Don't add more negative feelings to your soul with a sexual failure. God is with you. If you are a Christian, He is dwelling in your heart -- He couldn't be any nearer.

"Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might!" Ephesians 6:10

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very good......