Friday, March 20, 2009

Lesson from the Court Room

I've just returned from my first court appearance. As court appearances go, this was as straight-forward and simple as they come. I was a character witness and wasn't on the stand for long. I wasn't cross-examined.

While on the witness stand, I was struck by the opposing attorney. Everyone in the room was looking at me except for him. He was looking down and away the entire time. Was I a boring witness? Maybe. But I'm also wondering if it might have been intentional. If so, what was he attempting to withhold from me by looking away?

So it has me thinking about the good that can result from eye contact. When I look someone in the eye, I show respect. In a very small way, I show concern. A look in the eye -- perhaps for one on a witness stand -- can bring encouragement and strength.

Maybe lawyers learn this somewhere along the way.

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go. I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Psalm 32:8

No comments: