Friday, April 3, 2009

Dear brother,

Thank you for letting me know what has happened. You will be in my prayers and I can certainly relate. It isn't hard for our troubles to lead us into some sort of failure. It has happened to me many many times.

I know the feeling of regret. This might be hard to follow but I both accept it and fight it. I accept it because I want it to do a work in my heart. "For Godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret." Somehow grieving over opening up my soul to sin, whetting my appetite for it and disappointing my Father, can work in me to bring lasting change and eventual salvation. In this way I accept the regret and give thanks for it.

Along with that, I have to fight from being "overwhelmed by excessive sorrow" (2 Cor 2:7). I don't want regret to overshadow the truths that I rest my life on. I have been adopted by God as His son thanks to the work of Christ, and my failures do not cause Him to disown me. I have been justified by grace -- once for all -- and can rejoice in my salvation despite having failed Him. The blood of Christ has fully atoned for my sin, and I am as clean now as I was before things went south. Praise the Lord for His great love for us!! Failures provide me with an opportunity to marvel at God's unfailing love.

Yes, my brother, keep on fighting and don't let this fall dim your faith in the least. He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. I look forward to rejoicing with you on that day!

I'm looking forward to talking with you soon when your new phone arrives.

I'm with you all the way, hermano,

Dave O

No comments: