Saturday, August 8, 2009

The New Me and the New Yew

The transformation that I've experienced manifests itself in all kinds of ways. One of them is that I now enjoy a day of challenging physical work.

Today, I took on two trees that needed to be taken out of the front yard. They were "yews" that had gotten old and scraggly and had overgrown the space. Last week I decided they were coming out. Most of the branches were gone and today the stumps were to come out.

Removing a stump it not a simple task. The stump is held in place by a network of hidden roots that extend deep into the ground. I brought out the spade, the axe, the pruner, and the trowel. First I used the spade to dig around the base as much as I could. Then I used the pruner to cut the smaller roots. The large ones needed to chopped with an axe. Then I tried to loosen it by pushing and pulling with all my strength. There was a satisfying cracking sound as the tree came loose. Back to the pruner to clip the newly exposed roots. After a lot of effort, I was hoisting the uprooted tree out of the ground and dragging it to the backyard.

The reason that I give a play-by-play of the stump removal is that it brought to mind the journey into manhood. A dysfunctional masculine identity took root in my soul. Getting it out was an arduous task -- as a matter of fact it took many years. And it took all kinds of indispensable tools -- men's weekends, Christian disciplines, many books, small groups, one-on-one counsel, doing what men do, relationships, etc.

Then suddenly, I was dragging away this "dead tree". My flawed masculine identity is gone. A new, healthy, bright green tree is in it's place, bursting forth new growth!

What satisfaction! After years of chopping and digging and pruning and pushing and pulling, the old tree has given way. It took all that I had. But it was all worth it!

I can't help but feel some pity for those who gave up the struggle. Oh, there are so many. They decided it was too hard and that they could never change. What a glorious life journey they have missed out on! I wouldn't trade places with them for anything.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12

No comments: