Monday, July 18, 2011

Dear Tiger

Dear Tiger:

Though we have not met, I wanted to write and offer some encouraging words during what have to be the most difficult weeks of your life. The exposure you are experiencing these days would be a nightmare for anyone.

This may not make any sense to you, but having your transgressions revealed now could be the best thing that ever happened to you. Please hear me out on this.

The reason I say this is that someday everything will be revealed. I am a Christian. I believe that there is a God, and that He made Himself known to us through Jesus Christ. Jesus made this startling statement: “Nothing is covered up that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. Therefore whatever you said in the dark shall be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in private rooms shall be proclaimed on the housetops.” (Luke 12:2-3)

Someday all transgressions will be known. The transgressions that people thought they had successfully hidden and gotten away with shall be broadcast. I’m not sure how this will take place. I just know that it will be a very bleak day.

It gets worse. When this happens, the reaction of friends and family and onlookers will be the least of worries. The God whose commandments we have broken will be present. His punishment will be more severe than you could possibly imagine. Each person will have his offenses against God clearly revealed as their knees tremble.

But there is good news, Tiger. There are some who will be saved from this dreadful moment. Jesus says, “whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life” (John 5:24). You are invited (I’m inviting you now) to believe in Christ. That He was God in human form. That He suffered a cruel death – not for His own sins – but to pay for ours. That we have forgiveness from God through our faith in Him. That we avoid judgment and have eternal life in heaven.

Yesterday I heard a Christian on the radio singing – rejoicing – that he doesn’t have to bear the burden of the man he used to be. I thought of myself and the transgressions of years past (and of this week). Because of Jesus I don’t have to bear the guilt and impending judgment of those failures. But I also thought of you. The burden of the man that you used to be must be incredibly hard to bear right now. The great news is that you don’t have to. Jesus has borne it and you can experience God’s forgiveness. I hope that you can experience this first hand, as I have. Winning the grand slam will pale in comparison.

Dave O

No comments: