Tuesday, October 14, 2008

October in Minnesota

Minnesota has a reputation for cold weather, but it is a little overblown. Last weekend was in the 70's and I thought I would post some pics of the scenery that I encountered as I ran along the Mississippi River. We are a few days past the "peak" of leaf color, but the hues on the river banks are still striking.




The river road was packed with cyclists, walkers, runners, and bladers. It was great to be out in the middle of October and not need a shirt during my long run. Yes, I did get caught in the rain but to my surprise, I found it was more exhilirating than unpleasant.




I am thankful for the efforts to provide so many parks and parkways here in Minneapolis. There are many scenic trails for running and cycling. My favorite is the Midtown Greenway, only a block from our house. It is railroad bed converted to a cycling trail and runs west from the Mississippi River all the way to the western suburbs. During June, there were 3600 users of the trail on average every day! It is like a bicycle freeway with few stop signs and it connects me to the "chain of lakes". There is a bike center midway and landscaping along the route.


And God saw everything He had made, and, behold, it was very good. Genesis 1:30

No comments: