Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy Old Year


I don't send Christmas cards. Long ago, I concluded that the holidays were busy enough and I decided to opt out. It follows, then, that I don't receive them either, but for a couple of faithful-to-the-end souls who have kept me on their lists despite my failure to respond.

But I've always appreciated the "Christmas letter", which reflects on the year past. Along with catching up on the news, I like the idea of looking backward and giving thanks for God's faithfulness over the past 12 months. Many like me are eager, here at the end of December, to set some goals for the year ahead. But before I look forward, I want to look back and give thanks.

Though they moved out of our house in 2008, I am thankful for Rod and Aaron. Each bought their own places and it is fun to see them take that big step. Their time at the house was a good season and I'm glad to consider each of them good friends. Each of these brothers are growing and stepping into new adventures. What gifts God gives us when He provides friends like these.


God has brought many good household companions, and I am learning to trust Him to provide friends to share the house. He brought Rod and Aaron and Trent in for awhile; just as He has brought Adam and Paul, the two faithful brothers who live at 2909 right now. I'm striving to have a household for men that is a spiritually healthy place.


The baseball trip with Andy was certainly a highlight. Four stadiums (Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and Milwaukee) in four days. It was a fun time getting to know Andy better, visiting great stadiums, and enjoying our national pastime. We saw our Twins lose twice during a 12-2 run. A big part of the trip was visiting some of Andy's favorite midwestern restaurants. Here we are at Steak and Shake in Indiana. The '09 trip (to St. Louis and Kansas City) is already on the calendar.


In 2008, we geared down the CPA firm, saying good bye to Jeri and Deanna, the best two employees on the planet. (Can you believe that they bought me lunch and a going away gift at the end?) Though not without some bumps in the road over the years, I can thank God for abundant blessings on the accounting practice. The clients I have right now are absolutely great.

While the CPA firm was decreased, the coaching ministry was started. Aaron got the site up and developed an awesome logo. God brought a few men to work with, enabled me to attend NARTH, and reunited me with Outpost, with whom I will lead a group starting in a couple of weeks.


My Mom and Dad gave me a brand new Malibu in August, after the faithful Kia got bumped on I-94. I still feel loved every time I get in the car. This was my Dad's idea and we spent a day shopping for cars in Lakewood. I made it to Denver three times in 2008, and it was good staying with my parents in the house that I grew up in. They bless me in more ways than I can count.


Some of the most exhilarating times in 2008 were on the Midtown Greenway or the Mississippi River Road, using the new running leg. What a thrill to get out and run again, like I did when I was a kid. My prosthetist, Cale, encouraged me to give it a shot and he spent months getting the fit just right. What a blessing it is to be approaching 50 and enjoying a new athletic pursuit. I plan to write more on the experience of being a "disabled" athlete and the joy of overcoming a physical challenge.

Thank you, Lord, for so many good gifts in 2008! You are an abundant Giver, a faithful Father, and worthy of all of my trust. Thank you for your Son, for your Holy Spirit, and for our salvation!

1 comment: